Position Description: The LSU AgCenter is seeking an experienced data engineer who can provide organization-wide technical and development expertise. This is a technical role requiring initiative, independence and drive, an ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and an ability to perform a wide variety of duties. As a data engineer, you will be assigned to critical projects requiring attention to detail and the ability to find technical solutions to complex business problems.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Handling data pipelines and supporting data architecture on Azure
- Design architectures for data integration and processing, utilizing tools to build data pipelines on a modern technology stack
- Collaborate on the setup and implementation of data management frameworks across the organization
- Produce high-quality, secure, and maintainable code in an agile environment
- Work collaboratively as a member of the development team to build best-in-class software solutions in an agile environment
- Support and research issues across all application layers and database
- Identify areas for improvement and scale our Azure architecture and application design to fit
- Ensure code is deployable using Azure DevOps Pipelines
- Design and query database tables, views, functions, stored procedures, and batch processes
- Develop, implement, and support interfaces that connect our websites, back-end systems, and various 3rd party cloud solutions
- Bachelor’s degree (Information Systems, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, etc.)
- Experience with RDBMS (minimum 2 years)
- Demonstrated industry experience in data engineering on cloud platforms (minimum 2 years)
- Strong knowledge of SQL/T-SQL
- Experience with JSON, JSON-LD, XML data structures
- Experience managing structured and unstructured datasets
- Experience in data modeling and advanced SQL techniques
- Excellent problem solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Experience with private and public cloud architectures, pros/cons, and migration considerations
- Direct experience with SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Power BI
- Direct experience with Networking and implementing security policies on cloud platforms
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) products (JIRA, Confluence, GitHub, etc.) or similar agile project management tools
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems
- Experience with RDBMS (5+ years)
- 5+ years of demonstrated industry experience in data engineering on cloud platforms
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in programming languages such as Java 8, c#, node.js, python, SQL, Unix shell/Perl scripting, etc.
- Experience with source control and change management processes
- Experience with container-based infrastructures (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Experience in the development of API services (REST, e.g., with .NET Core API, Python Flask, etc.)
- Hands on experience with Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) products (JIRA, Confluence, GitHub, etc.) or similar agile project management tools
- Relevant Microsoft Azure certifications
- Hands on experience with Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Synapse (Data Warehouse), Azure Blob, Azure Storage Explorer
- Direct experience with implementing multi-layered data lake architecture
- Direct experience with implementing data warehouse architecture
- Hands on experience in creating Data Factory pipelines for on-cloud ETL processing; copy activity, custom Azure development, etc.
- Direct experience with Azure Data Catalog, Event Grid, Service Bus, SQL, and Synapse
Salary and Benefits: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The LSU AgCenter has an attractive benefits package with a wide variety of benefit options. Benefits offered include retirement, multiple medical insurance options, supplemental insurances (dental, life, long-term disability, accident, vision, long-term care, etc.), Tax Saver Flexible Benefits Plan (saves tax dollars on some child care and medical expenses), university holidays (14 per year, typically includes a week off at Christmas), generous annual (vacation) and sick leave benefits, Employee Assistance Program, and possible educational leave and tuition exemption for coursework at campuses of the LSU System. Specific benefits depend on job category, percent effort and length of employment.
Date Available: Upon completion of the selection process.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2022 or until a suitable candidate is identified.
Application Procedure: Must apply online at (or through Workday for internal applicants) by attaching resume, cover letter, official university transcripts, and two letters of reference. Paper, faxed, or e-mailed application materials will not be accepted, except that in lieu of attaching reference letters online, they may be sent directly to:
Data Engineer Search Committee
LSU AgCenter Information Technology
241A Knapp Hall
110 LSU Union Square
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
The LSU Agricultural Center is a statewide campus of the LSU System and provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Louisiana State University Agricultural Center