Research & Development
Fermentation Scientist/Engineer – Decatur, IL
ADM Research & Development
This is an exempt level position.
The successful candidate’s primary role will be to assist with development and execution of laboratory experiments focused on improved operations at ADM’s ethanol production facilities. To accomplish this, the candidate will be expected to work within the focused team to deliver experimental protocols, evaluation of experimental results, organization of laboratory duties and experiment prioritization. In addition, the successful candidate will be expected to play an integral role in Research based projects that are designed to assist with troubleshooting and optimization efforts. This position will report to the Biotechnology Research Manager.
- Provide value to ADM business units through research support of ethanol operations.
- Plan, execute, analyze and communicate lab-scale fermentation experiments to support ethanol process optimization efforts.
- Provide technical supervision and mentorship to junior scientists.
- Assist with ethanol plant support requests, including the internal analysis of samples for various compounds impacting ethanol fermentation as well as microbial contamination.
- Collaborate with other groups within ADM research to identify opportunities that can add value through development and deployment of new technologies, including process optimizations.
- Evaluate and support deployment of new technologies and process optimizations at ethanol facilities with focus on experiments that can be scaled up in an industrial process.
- Deliver technical leadership in the areas of microbiology, fermentation kinetics, enzyme kinetics, yeast physiology and experimental management.
- Manage ethanol optimization projects and communicate outcomes and recommendations to plant operations and research team members.
These skills and experience will be required or useful for the candidate.
- BS degree w/ 10 or more years of applicable experience, MS degree w/ 5 or more years of applicable experience or PhD
- Demonstrated success in troubleshooting and optimizing laboratory experiments
- Subject matter expert in laboratory fermentation experimentation and commercial scale up
- Ability to design and implement research projects and manage overall project timelines and objectives
- Interpret experimental results and develop experimental protocols
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with both technical and non-technical personnel
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse, multidisciplinary teams to coordinate the transfer of bench scale knowledge through scale-up to provide value for the business
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Experience with statistical software (i.e., SAS JMP or Minitab) a plus
- Experience with OSI PI a plus
- Experience in enzyme technology and development a plus
- Field and commercial fermentation plant experience a plus
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veteran status.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and a background check.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.
ADM unlocks the power of nature to enrich the quality of life. We’re a premier global human and animal nutrition company, delivering solutions today with an eye to the future. We’re blazing new trails in health and well-being as our scientists develop groundbreaking products to support healthier living. We’re a cutting-edge innovator leading the way to a new future of plant-based consumer and industrial solutions to replace petroleum-based products. We’re an unmatched agricultural supply chain manager and processor, providing food security by connecting local needs with global capabilities. And we’re a leader in sustainability, scaling across entire value chains to help decarbonize our industry and safeguard our planet. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional and sustainability challenges of today and tomorrow. Learn more at www.adm.com.