US-VA-Smithfield (North Plant)
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
The Industrial Engineer will lead efforts to develop and improve processes, work with operations to implement projects to increase productivity, provide guidance and expertise in various areas. This position will also assist with special projects. This position is responsible for define, develop, and implement plant continuous improvement projects in all areas of plant operations. Focuses on analysis and project implementation to optimize worker efficiency, yield improvement, waste reduction and workplace optimization along with accurate cost standards and procedures.
- Studies functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication.
- Establishes work measurement programs and analyzes work samples to develop standards for labor utilization.
- Analyzes work force utilization, facility layout, and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts, and production schedules, to determine efficient utilization of workers and equipment.
- Recommends methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganization of workflow, relocating workstations and equipment, and purchase of equipment.
- Confers with management and engineering staff to implement plans and recommendations.
- Recommends and implements methods of improvement based on leading edge technologies and industrial engineering principles to improve operating performance and reduce waste, delays and costs.
- Teach, coach and train to enhance operational execution and efficiency.
- Monitors installation and ensures proposal specifications and budget are met.
- Develops and maintains management systems for cost analysis, financial planning, wage and salary administration, and job evaluation.
- Ensures effective productivity and production measurements are established for identified processes in the plant. Monitors system and expands it as necessary.
- Analyzes, recommends, designs and implements enhancements to existing work methods, flows and processes to improve current capabilities.
- Communicates with management on all changes in work standards.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for methods and processes.
- Manages multiple engineering projects ensuring on-time completion according to schedule and within budget guidelines.
- Leads and coordinates the activities of those assigned to project teams.
- Researches technology advancements and systems to develop cost effective improvements to operating methods and procedures.
- Partner with Operations leadership to identify and improve based on their needs — delivering results for our customer
- Coach, develop, and train plant employees, plant leadership, and corporate leadership on our Management Operating System and sustainability efforts
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 2+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Industrial Engineering Degree, preffered.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability. Especially while engaging with company leadership to drive initiatives.
- Strong planning, organization, and execution skills.
- Effective critical thinking, decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Understand and experience with system capabilities and finding ways to improve system performance.
- Effective planning and organizational skills with demonstrated multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Ability to use exposure monitoring, equipment, interpret and communicate results.
- Strong interpersonal and technical skills, required.
- Must be able to travel 50% of the time as position may support multiple locations.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Provides leadership and guidance to employees on the Production Floor.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit .
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn’t just a job – it’s the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That’s why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly®” and serve as one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan’s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit , and connect with us on , , and .
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.