Title: Java Developer (Mid Level)
Reports to: Sr. Software Developer
Based in: St. Petersburg, FL
Work Type: Onsite with some Hybrid
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Pole Star Defense is a leading provider of maritime domain awareness, maritime security, and fisheries monitoring systems to the government sector. Since 1998, we have pushed the limits of innovation, mitigating growing threats to ships, supply chains, cargo, territorial waters and, most importantly, safety of lives at sea and beyond. Today, we continue to develop and implement pioneering intelligence technologies to protect customer vessels, people, maritime domain, and reputation.
Pole Star Defense is looking for Java developers, passionate about building robust modern applications based on Java eco-system of frameworks and tools, event-driven microservice architecture, and best industry practices. You will be working in a growing team on an exciting green-field project that owns end-to-end delivery of the entire solution. The perfect fit will work within an Agile environment and actively participate in story planning & daily standups. You will play a key role in collaborative project teams and assist with designing and developing mission-critical, enterprise-scale business systems.
- Design, code, and test software modifications for assigned applications to address changes or fixes as necessary for problem resolution
- Review, analyze, and modify programming systems, including encoding, testing, debugging, and installing for a large-scale system
- Independently prepare estimates of effort to develop and execute approved application changes in primary applications, prioritize work assignments, and facilitate peer review of work products
- Analyze user requirements to define business objectives
- Envisioning system features and functionality
- Define application objectives and functionality
- Ensure application designs conform with business goals
- Develop technical designs for application development
- Maintain shared responsibility for documentation updates to configuration records and the related configuration management tool to track application changes
- Transforming requirements into stipulations
- Prepare and produce releases of software components
- Support continuous improvement, investigating alternatives and technologies, and presenting for architectural review
- 5+ years of direct design and programming experience with Java/Spring/REST/Microservices
- Sound knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) Patterns and Concepts
- Experience with AWS cloud
- Experience with messaging and event streaming systems and frameworks (such as JMS, Kafka, etc.)
- Basic Understanding of the concepts of MVC (Model-View-Controller) Pattern, JDBC (Java Database Connectivity), and RESTful web services
- Understanding basic design principles behind a scalable application
- Skilled at creating database schemas that characterize and support business processes
- Basic knowledge of JVM (Java Virtual Machine), its drawbacks, weaknesses, and workarounds
- In-depth knowledge of code versioning tools, for instance, Git
- Understanding of build automation tools like Ant, Maven, Gradle, etc
- Experience with continuous integration tools
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or equivalent
DESIRED SKILLS (Not Required):
- Experience working with DHS or DoD
- Security Clearance
- Ability for up to 10% travel both domestic and international.
Pole Star Defense offers benefits that are designed to lead an evolving marketplace and encourage a healthy balance between work and life. Highlights of those benefits are listed below:
- Medical, Vision, Dental, Disability insurance for employees and dependents (100% covered by company)
- Life insurance, company funded to 3x salary
- 20 days annual leave (can buy or sell more days)
- Up to a 10% Annual bonus available
- Up to a 5% 401K matching
- Gym membership subsidy
- Volunteer Day PTO
- Refer-a-friend recruitment bonus
WORK SCHEDULE NOTE:
While this position is scheduled for a traditional Monday – Friday work week, our systems run 24/7/365 and as such, you may be expected to perform out of hours, on-call support on an as needed basis. Additional compensation may be available for working on-call, standby, or holiday hours.
This is a Public Trust position and requires completion of a State and Federal Criminal History Report (i.e., background check) and may require a Department of Defense security clearance. Current and future employment will be contingent upon satisfactory completion.
This position requires use of or access to information subject to the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”) or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”). Accordingly, all applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of these regulations. Under ITAR, a U.S. person is defined as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or a person who is a protected individual under the immigration and Naturalization Act (8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)).
Pole Star Defense is a U.S. Government contractor and is an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
COVID 19 CONSIDERATIONS:
- Pole Star Defense follows all local and federal guidelines on how to best protect its employees, visitors, and guests from the COVID 19 virus. This includes following guidance and implementing policies set forth by the CDC, WHO and OSHA.
Pole Star Space Applications