Nippon Seiki is a world-class manufacturer of instruments for vehicles, agricultural, and construction equipment. Established in 1945, Nippon Seiki Co., Ltd. is headquartered in Japan, with numerous facilities worldwide. N.S. International, Ltd. (“NSI”), a group company of Nippon Seiki, located in Troy, MI, is a tier one supplier of instrument clusters and head-up display units for FCA US, General Motors, BMW, Honda, Harley Davidson, Suzuki, Polaris, Arctic Cat and other OEM’s.
Purpose of Job
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible to work closely with experienced engineers to review customer requirements, specifications and manufacturing constraints in order to create comprehensive engineering product design details, specifications, drawings and related engineering changes utilizing and applying engineering principles, research data, and Design Engineering Standards (DES). Responsibilities also include analyzing test data, performing root-cause analysis, preparation of 5-Phase/5-Why analysis reports as needed.
Top duties or activities with the approximate percentage of time spent on each duty in a given year. Not all tasks/steps performed are listed. Rank % of Role Focus Major Duty / Responsibility of Job
- Support the engineers in the design and development of automotive instrument clusters (IPC) and head-up displays (HUDs), creation of 3D Models and 2D drawings including GD&T for all structural components considering DFM/DFA factors and assembly drawings, cost, material & component specifications, and other design factors
- Maintain open issues related to design developments during various stages of the development phase and develop contingency plans as needed.
- Support the engineers in the structural, thermal, and dynamic analysis using FEA, Lighting analysis using Light Simulation software, optical design and simulation using internally developed analytical tools and Light Simulation Software.
- Post Development: Provide technical/design support during the pre-production phase (PV testing, root-cause analysis, 5-Phase report preparation), during production preparation phase (Quality, Assembly, Process related areas).
- Provide technical/design support to assembly plants, suppliers related to quality, design related aspects.
- Execute customer design changes and reflect to internal design deliverables, and documentation.
- Support the engineers in the development of conceptual design, bill of materials (BOM), design feasibility studies for the RFQ response and technical presentation.
- Support the team in the development of DFMEA, DVP, Failure Analysis/5-Phase report creation.
- Interface with customer to understand design requirements during the design specification/styling development, and product development phases. Compile specification confirmation Reports prior to the development.
- Perform benchmark analysis, attend trade shows (NAIAS) and compile market trend analysis of IPC/ HUD Products.
- Assist in the prototype development during the build trials.
- Assist manufacturing plants, quality teams in resolving technical, manufacturing, quality issues.
- Assist in the testing & evaluation of IPC/HUD products as required.
- Participate in-vehicle checks at customer location during pre-production phases to evaluate the design integrity of NSI Products and to Identify design flaws or issues and compile summary report.
- Prepare technical documents in support of the quality gate assessment meetings with parent company in Japan.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
Required and/or preferred level of education, knowledge and skills that are necessary. Education Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering; Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred; Course work or Specialization in Strength of Materials and Statics & Dynamics.
- 0 – 2 years of automotive design & development experience.
- Work experience with CAD is required. CATIA is preferred.
- Experience working with automotive, structures, plastics or optics are preferred.
- Experience working with FEA analysis knowledge especially Vibration, Thermal, Linear/Non-linear Analysis are preferred. Working knowledge of ABAQUS preferred.
- Experience working with optical design principles; OPTIS – Light Simulation Software Package are preferred.
- Experience working with GD&T are preferred.
Special Training or Competency N/A
- Adaptation/Flexibility: Includes keeping an open mind regarding new ideas and ways of doing things. Willing to consider alternative interpretations or ways of looking at the situation. Demonstrating flexibility.
- Initiative/ Results Driven: Includes setting high standards of performance for self and others. Striving to accomplish goals even if it means personal sacrifice. Putting the goals of the organization above own goals.
- Judgment/ Decision Making: Includes making decisions and takes actions that have beneficial impact. Effectively evaluating information in order to come up with sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Resource Management: Includes setting clear objectives to guide action for self or others to accomplish goals. Organizing or adjusting information, people and materials to meet those goals.
- Team Work: Includes encouraging and supporting the ideas and effort of others. Finding ways to help the team or group perform effectively.
Work Hours Monday-Friday, 8 am – 5pm. Off-hours as needed.
Travel Requirements 5-10% internationally and/or domestically.
If domestic travel is necessary, valid drivers’ license is required.
If international travel is necessary, valid passport is required.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
N.S. International, Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.