If you are using a screen reader and experience any difficulty accessing our web pages, please call 206-543-2544 or email and we will be happy to assist you.
PROJECT APPOINTMENT – WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER
PROJECT APPOINTMENT – WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER
Req #: 216306
Department: UW MEDICINE IT SERVICES
Appointing Department Web Address:
Job Location: Remote/Hybrid, Seattle – Downtown
Job Location Detail: Primary work location may be fully remote within the US or at the Safeco Plaza Building on the corner of 4th and Madison in downtown Seattle
Posting Date: 01/06/2023
Closing Info: Closes On 01/13/2023
Salary: $70.00 – $80.00 per hour
Shift: First Shift
A higher degree of healthcare.
All across UW Medicine, our employees collaborate to perform the highest quality work with integrity and compassion and to create a respectful, welcoming environment where every patient, family, student and colleague is valued and honored.
UW Medicine’s IT Services department has an outstanding opportunity for a WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER!
PLEASE NOTE: This position is expected to last 6 months in length with 16 hours worked per week.
In collaboration with UW Medicine IT Services (‘ITS’) and under the general guidance of the Collaboration Services Manager, the primary focus of the Web Application Developer 3 (‘Developer’) position is developing and supporting the UW Medicine Public site and the UW Medicine Intranets.
This position will be an active part of the web development team responsible for designing, developing and deploying new features for UW Medicine internal and public facing web sites. Development functions will be performed in partnership with IT Services customer groups and internal IT staff including other developers, project managers and operational staff.
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Maintaining and improving UW Medicine’s intranet and collaboration technologies;
- Leading customer interactions, independently resolving complex developmental issues, and architecting solutions;
- Designing and implementing features to address the business requirements related to productivity and collaboration; and
- Evolving processes to improve the efficiency and reliability of producing custom solutions.
Enhance Production Systems (45%)
- Collaborate with the Lead Application Services Analyst to clarify requirements for requested system enhancements.
- Estimate number of hours to build a solution based on the approved design.
- Create designs, build systems based on approved designs, and advise other team members.
- Report work against assigned tasks.
- Complete unit testing and notify QA of readiness for integrated testing.
Plan development work for upcoming releases (20%)
- Evaluate complex requirements for system enhancement requests or identified bugs. Example enhancement requests include: creating new SharePoint webparts to address user needs.
- Review submitted mock-ups to understand customer UX expectations.
- Identify any gaps in the provided requirements and work with the Business Analysts and Program Manager to obtain the missing information.
- Prepare an appropriate solution design and properly vet via the design review process.
- Estimate the required level of effort to deliver the solution.
Support Production Systems – Internal and External Websites and Web Applications (10%)
- Contact system users to understand any reported issues or concerns with existing production systems.
- Determine whether the reported issues is a defect or a request for enhanced functionality.
- Support and maintain systems within the established service level agreement for the applicable system.
- Design and implement appropriate fixes following established design/build standards and operational processes and procedures for the team.
Technical Expertise (10%)
- Guide team members on technical design, troubleshooting, and efficient coding.
- Ensure solution designs comply with security and confidentiality requirements.
- Identify emerging trends in IT solutions in order to better align technical solutions with customer needs and ensuring the delivered solution meets customer requirements.
- Provide technical expertise to other team members.
- Research, inform and recommend opportunities to apply technology solutions to areas of assigned responsibilities.
Team Operational Improvement Projects (5%)
- Work as assigned to implement desired operational improvements.
Document Production Systems (5%)
- Create documentation of assigned production systems per established documentation standards.
- Maintain documentation over time as systems are enhanced.
- Review documentation with other team members to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Participate in all aspects of improving the team, including education/training of other team members and contributing to process/communication improvement initiatives.
- Work with manager to set professional goals for career development.
- Act as back-up for other team members and functions, as needed.
- Participate in on-call rotation.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration, or related field or equivalent combination of education/experience.
4+ years’ experience must include:
- 4+ years professional IT experience designing, developing and maintaining web sites or web applications.
- Demonstrated experience leading new and complex, technical initiatives, including the following:
o researching new concepts and technology;
o developing solutions, presenting them to leadership and gaining buy in; and
o sharing knowledge of new technology or solution with team members through education and training.
- Expert level experience, with the following tasks:
o independently developing requirements and writing user stories;
o independently resolving complex development issues and architecting solutions; and
o translating complex issues into comprehensible ideas and concepts with both technical and non-technical staff.
- Advanced experience, and the ability to train others in, design layout.
- Previous experience in and knowledge of academic healthcare systems and/or operational environments.
- SharePoint development experience.
- Microsoft 365 development experience.
- Knowledge of XML.
- C#, .NET, React JS development experience.
- Nintex Workflows and Forms experience.
- Experience with systems such as WordPress and Drupal.
- Experience in a team development environment using Microsoft Azure DevOps and Git
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This is an Information Technology deadline-driven work environment.
- The individual in this position is expected to work normal daytime hours. The majority of work is performed in an office environment during normal business hours; however, significant off-hours and weekends may be needed to resolve problems and respond to emergencies. This individual is expected to be available for emergencies (business continuity/disaster recovery efforts) on a 24×7 basis as needed.
- Must coordinate projects without direct supervisory authority.
- Must work within the constraints of multiple technical environments.
- ITS provides services to all UW Medicine organizations – HMC, UWMC-Montlake, UWMC-NW, VMC, UWNC, UWP, SOM, and ALNW. The individual in this position must learn many organizational structures and cultures and continually foster collaboration.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under .
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, the University of Washington will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
The University of Washington is a leader in , and committed to becoming climate neutral.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 or .
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
Employees of the University of Washington are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless a medical or religious exemption is approved. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination. View the for information about the medical or religious exemption process for final candidates.
University of Washington