Position Type: Regular – Full-Time
Position Location: Appleton
Grade: Grade 05
Requisition ID: 24247
About McCain: McCain Foods is proud to be a family and values-driven company. Our values are integral to our culture, helping to shape how we operate, how we work together and the choices we make. They are a big part of what makes us unique. McCain Foods opened their first production facility in their hometown of Florenceville, New Brunswick, Canada. McCain Foods quickly established itself within the Canadian marketplace and then began a journey to become the world’s largest manufacturer of frozen French fries and potato specialties. McCain products can be found in thousands of restaurants and supermarket freezers around the world. In addition to fries, McCain also produces other foods, including appetizers, oven meals, vegetables and juice for both the retail and foodservice industries.
Why You Should Join Our Team:
McCain offers full benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance. In addition, we offer other benefits including:
- Adoption Assistance
- Infertility Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Assistance
- Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave
We are looking for a Process Engineer to join our Global R&D team in Appleton Wisconsin! McCain Food’s facility in Appleton Wisconsin is a large-scale food processing plant, employing approximately 500 employees. This site specializes in the production of jalapeño poppers and other appetizers. Fun Fact: the jalapeño popper was trademarked at this site!
As the R&D Process Engineer, you report into the R&D Global Process Innovation team and you will be responsible to support the Commercialization work that will be required to support the R&D Innovation pipeline. You will be a dedicated resource as the process expert for Appetizer pilot line and expanding upon capabilities as needed to support strategic initiatives to further regional agendas.
- Dedicated support for Appetizer pilot line program as process expert and equipment sustainment (PM programs) and support equipment set-up and operation for all pilot tests
- Responsible to build Appetizer pilot line capability to support strategic initiatives – identifying cost/capital required to meet needs of business in support of Technical Roadmap and Innovation pipeline
- Assist/Support with Appetizer commercialization via pilot line testing/PSTs/1st production runs and plant hand-offs as required across Appetizer network
- Provide detailed summary to PD lead on process and quality capability along with data to support BOM creation from pilot line test to scale to factory
- Continued build of pilot line SOP and build to other appetizers in network
- Work closely with Technical Services on Plant Handovers and Manufacturing Manuals so transfer of knowledge occurs and responsibility is transferred after launch
- Support Food Safety programs required to maintain pilot usage and shipments to external sources for evaluation – EMP, Sanitation, KEFSQ feedback
- Conduct pilot line scale tests for research purposes to improve commercialization agility in future – conducting process DOEs understanding outputs like cook validation, product quality, and product profiling via statistical modelling
- Take on NV/ST projects as TPL as expertise commences on project management
- Support SCA initiatives that required process support and validation via R&D
- Process Assist/Support on Potato Innovation projects launched into Appetizer factories based on process capability needs
- Support Process engineer intern program as needed/funded for future succession into process R&D
- Generating Manufacturing Manuals in collaboration with Technical Team (ie: Technical Services, Manufacturing, R&D Technical Lead, Quality, Food Safety) for products with critical processing or multiple plant productions required to support network
- Work closely with Technical Services on projects to support maintenance of new products as it pertains to Plant Transfers of new products, customer quality concerns, process updates that may require product changes to formula or manufacturing specs/manual
- Travel: Ability to travel up to 25% as project load and training require.
- Minimum Education:
Bachelor’s degree in engineering focusing on Food Science or related fields (Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Food Engineering, etc.) * Minimum 2+ years Process Engineering experience, Working statistical knowledge (Lean Six Sigma, Green Belt, etc.)
- Prior use of systems such as SAP, Infinity Proficient, OSI Pi, JMP/Stats tool is an asset
- Exceptional verbal/written skills – Powerpoint, Excel, Word, Technical documentation
- Excellent collaboration with external partners – Marketing, Production, Sales, Research and Regulatory, Technical Services, Food Safety
- Ability to function in a high-paced environment
- Ability to work in Manufacturing environment to commercialize new items and scale products to the factory
Want to learn more? Ask our recruiter on LinkedIn! #LI-MN1
Sustainability and Plant Friendly Practices are at the Heart of McCain:
We’ve embarked upon a journey to create planet-friendly food. Food that will use fewer natural resources in factories and farms, answer the need of increasingly health and planet-conscious consumers, and contribute to positive change in the rural communities where we grow our ingredients.
- We are moving to 100% renewable energy by 2030.
- Donating 200 million meals to food banks and NGO worldwide by 2025.
- Implementing regenerative agricultural practices across 100% of our potato acreage by 2030.
McCain Foods is an equal opportunity employer. We see value in ensuring we have a diverse, antiracist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable workplace. As a global family-owned company we are proud to reflect the diverse communities around the world in which we live and work. We recognize that diversity drives our creativity, resilience, and success and makes our business stronger.
McCain is an accessible employer. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Your privacy is important to us. By submitting personal data or information to us, you agree this will be handled in accordance with the
Job Family: Research & Development
Division: Global Research and Development
Department: Global Process Innovation
Location(s): US – United States of America : Wisconsin : Appleton
Company: McCain Foods USA, Inc.