Research & Development
Research Process Engineer – Decatur, IL
ADM Research & Development
This is a full-time, exempt level position.
ADM, a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world’s premier agricultural origination and processing company, has an opening for a Research Engineer I at our Corporate Research Center located in Decatur, IL!
This Research Engineer is responsible for driving process improvement and process development projects focused on implementation of new technologies in existing production and piloting facilities. This role will supervise the evaluation of existing production equipment and recommend improvements in support of the production of chemicals, food ingredients, and advanced biofuels. This position will provide mass and energy balances, P&IDs, and economic evaluation, as well as supporting documentation and project reports, and will work with a variety of groups, including vendors, contractors, Operations, Commercial, and R&D teams.
The following represents most duties to be performed by the position but is not meant to be all-inclusive and will not prevent other duties from being assigned when appropriate.
- Conduct engineering studies and recommend process changes for industrial food, industrial chemical, and advance biofuels processes.
- Evaluate production and pilot process upsets to determine root causes and recommend process changes to improve performance.
- Prepare mass and energy balances of unit operations or whole plants.
- Assess various performance specifications for key unit operations or equipment.
- Design of experiments for plant and pilot trials, or to provide technical support to existing facilities.
- Work with CoE, plant engineers, vendors, and contractors to set up equipment and support pilot or plant trials in industrial environments.
- Write detailed reports and prepare comprehensive presentations.
- Plan and execute engineering and research projects, including implementation and supervision of proposed changes in the field as needed.
Skills and Proficiencies
- A Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering or equivalent is required.
- One to four years of experience in process operations and design and/or piloting improvement projects in the food and/or chemical industry.
- Extensive experience with a range of unit operations, such as filtration, distillation, evaporation, centrifugation, carbon treatment, ion exchange, chromatographic separation, solids handling, and varied chemical reactors is desired.
- Experience with evaluation and implementation of new technologies into existing production facilities is desired.
- Understanding of complex system interactions and ability to identify the root causes of process irregularities.
- Well-developed analytical skills to analyze and interpret scientific data during design and evaluation of chemical processes.
- Good written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate with managers, engineering, R&D colleagues, and business teams via reports and presentations.
- Strong organizational skills to manage large amounts of data and multiple projects.
- Able to function within matrix project management environment.
- Strong leadership skills to encourage open collaboration, provide expertise, and positively contribute to Research teams.
- Must be willing to travel, as travel to multiple locations is expected, as well as willing to switch to a shift schedule, if needed for plant trials
- Comfortable managing/participating in various projects concurrently
- Must work within established company and laboratory safety guidelines
- Willingness to spend time in plant areas, tolerate extreme temperatures, walk long distances, stand, climb stairs and ladders, and move through close spaces
Communication, curiosity, integrity, mechanical aptitude, problem solving, independent judgment, teamwork, persistence, detail focused, and commitment to safety.
Relocation assistance is available with this position.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life, vision, and dental insurance.
ADM requires the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and a background investigation.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans’ status.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.
ADM unlocks the power of nature to enrich the quality of life. We’re a premier global human and animal nutrition company, delivering solutions today with an eye to the future. We’re blazing new trails in health and well-being as our scientists develop groundbreaking products to support healthier living. We’re a cutting-edge innovator leading the way to a new future of plant-based consumer and industrial solutions to replace petroleum-based products. We’re an unmatched agricultural supply chain manager and processor, providing food security by connecting local needs with global capabilities. And we’re a leader in sustainability, scaling across entire value chains to help decarbonize our industry and safeguard our planet. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional and sustainability challenges of today and tomorrow. Learn more at www.adm.com.