The role of the Senior Mechanical Project Engineer is to design, prototype and test new product offerings and sustain current product offerings. The successful candidate is responsible for developing new product specifications and project plans, designing, prototyping, and testing machines, and supporting the industrialization of the final product design. This role requires a hands-on engineering approach working with a small team of engineers, designers, build technicians, and suppliers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Executes the evaluation, design, analysis, prototyping, and testing for assigned projects using sound engineering principles while adhering to company standards, product requirements, and regulatory requirements.
· Performs mechanical engineering trade studies and calculations for assigned projects.
· Plans and executes new product introduction, sustaining, and cost savings projects.
· Manages timeline, budget, and product costs for assigned projects and provides regular status updates to leadership team.
· Organizes and completes product Design Reviews for assigned projects.
· Provides technical direction to Designers to accomplish desired project objectives.
· Creates, verifies, and maintains 3D models and assemblies, detail drawings and schematics, and Bills of Materials per company standards.
· Initiates and/or processes Engineering Change Orders for new and existing products.
· May direct and coordinate building of prototypes. Clarifies and resolves problems found during execution; prepares design modifications, as appropriate.
· Provides content for technical publications (Operator Manuals, Parts and Service Manuals, Tech Bulletins)
· Provides technical support for Customer Service and Field Techs.
· Supports manufacturing and operations efforts as needed.
Education, Knowledge, and Skills
· BS in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited university required.
· Minimum ten years of ME design experience including: structures, mechanical power transmission, hydraulics, pneumatics, IC engines and systems integration.
· Design experience in automotive, agricultural, or mobile equipment industries desired.
· Strong analytical skills and hands-on mechanical assembly and troubleshooting skills.
· Experience with 3D CAD required. Autodesk Inventor preferred.
· Experience with PDM/PLM systems desired. Autodesk Vault preferred.
· Experience maintaining Bills of Materials in an ERP system.
· Working knowledge of ASME Y14.5.
· Proficiency in MS Office applications required.
· Working knowledge of fabrication shop equipment such as lasers, press brakes, welders, and robots.
- Must possess excellent communication, organizational, and project management skills.
- Experience in low-volume, high-mix production environments.
Manufacturing and office environment. Exposure to noise, fumes, and dust, while in the manufacturing facility.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard, and to verbally communicate to exchange information. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in office settings and moderate to loud in other situations, with both constant and sudden loud noises possible. Works indoors most of the time. Works somewhat close to other people, such as when sharing office space.