Senior Packaging Engineer: Atticus LLC
American-owned and independently operated, Atticus is driven by grassroots experience and an unwavering commitment to operational excellence, helping U.S. retail distributors and end-users get the most out of their input requirements. Our expanding portfolio of branded-generic pesticides is spread across two business segments: Agricultural and EcoCore markets. Atticus offers a broad portfolio of branded-generic fungicides, herbicides and insecticides. While the chemistry isn’t unique, the Atticus experience is. Privately held and personally financed, Atticus operates in a way that makes us nimble and accessible. We believe acting decisively requires not only adapting to change, but also deliberately creating it. Atticus is staffed with a team of skilled professionals with diverse experience and unique perspectives all assembled and aligned under one cultural framework.
What you will do in this role
An exciting opportunity has opened to join Atticus, LLC as a Senior Packaging Engineer. This is a pivotal role responsible for packaging development, maintenance, and support for new and existing products. Working in a collaborative environment is critical while providing design concepts that support bringing new products to market.
- Identify and implement innovative and sustainable packaging solutions that maximize our competitive advantage and build brand preference
- Manage and facilitate the entire packaging development process via our business partners, including identifying ‘me-too’ components, the creation of packaging designs and prototype development (if needed), and performance testing
- Provide guidance and support to new product development, including design, material of construction, and product compatibility
- Coordinates with Regulatory team to ensure that packaging requirements are aligned with label language and directions for use
- Responsible for regulatory compliance (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) as it relates to packaging and packaging components and provide guidance to other functional areas as it relates to packaging regulations.
- Manage and facilitate all DOT/UN packaging development and certification requirements to ensure compliance
- Provide guidance and approve packaging design, function, and regulatory compliance for turn-key finished product supplied by international suppliers
- Continually improve the capability of existing packaging and packaging components to better meet customer and end-user requirements, while considering cost effectiveness
- Develop and manage packaging specifications for all existing and new packaging components
- Work with manufacturing team to ensure the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability; includes packaging line trials and package testing to support product release
- Provide maintenance and troubleshooting support to adjacent supply chain functions (procurement, manufacturing, etc.), as well as, to end-users to ensure a safe user-friendly customer experience
- Troubleshoot packaging and labeling-related issues in manufacturing and assist with non-conformance investigations
- Establish and maintain relationships with packaging suppliers to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of packaging, packaging equipment developments, and overall packaging industry knowledge
- Serve as Atticus representative on the Ag Container Recycling Council (ACRC)
- A bachelor’s degree in Packaging, Material Science, Mechanical/Chemical Engineering, or other relevant disciplines (Chemistry, Engineering, Materials Engineering, etc.), with a minimum 5 years of related industry experience
- Technical understanding regarding design, material of construction, and product compatibility (e.g., fluorination of high density polyethylene); knowledge of tip & pour, squeeze & measure, and various small pack liquids preferred
- Knowledge of and experience with industry standard test procedures for packaging materials and combination packages, including Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency’s Child Resistant Packaging regulations
- Understand correlation of final art to package design to assure component continuity
- Experience with TOPS palletization software, Sketchup Pro, FileMaker Pro, Adobe products, or other relates software a plus
- Ability to work effectively across diverse and cross-functional teams, under critical timelines and while balancing the needs of internal customers
- Excellent organization, planning, project management, time management and prioritization skills on a self-directed basis
Atticus is serious about the success of this industry as well as the success of our team. We’re on a number of important task forces that support the industry and its workers, with the goal of ensuring good stewardship and safe use of products. We’re also working to advance the future of Agriculture and EcoCore markets by supporting organizations that shape tomorrow’s leaders. We value both what we deliver as an organization and what we do as individuals. And that value is told through our employee experience – what we call Atticus Freedom. It’s about extending the right tools, support and hospitality to our team. By investing in your skills and leadership development, your overall health and wellbeing, and your future, we empower our people – and Atticus as a whole, to achieve greater success.
Atticus, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Recruiting Agencies, Please Note:
Atticus, LLC will not accept unsolicited assistance from recruiting/search agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by recruiting or search agencies to any employee at Atticus, LLC via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search/recruitment agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Atticus, LLC. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Atticus, LLC as a result of the referral or through other means.
Powered by JazzHR