Company: The Boeing Company
Job ID: 00000391865
Date Posted: 2023-09-06
Location: USA – Arlington, VA, USA – El Segundo, CA
Job Description Qualifications:
The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) is seeking a Senior Software Developer to join the Applied Data Science group located in El Segundo, CA or Arlington, VA. In this role, you will build a data lakehouse for BDS.
- Proactively drive the vision for data foundation and analytics to accelerate building and improvement of cross platform components, and define and execute on plan to achieve that vision.
- Conceptualize and own the data architecture for multiple large-scale projects, while evaluating design and operational cost-benefit tradeoffs within systems.
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of complex and scalable data pipelines to extract, transform, and load data from diverse sources into our data platform.
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to a team of data engineers, ensuring best practices, code quality, and professional development.
- Build cross-functional relationships with Data Scientists, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs and deliver on those needs.
- Define and manage SLA for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership.
- Determine and implement the security model based on privacy requirements, confirm safeguards are followed, address data quality issues, and evolve governance processes within allocated areas of ownership.
- Architect and implement end-to-end data integration, ETL, and data processing solutions that align with business goals and performance requirements.
- Optimize and tune data pipelines for maximum performance, scalability, and reliability.
- Design, build, and launch collections of sophisticated data models and visualizations that support use cases across different products or domains.
- Solve our most challenging data integrations problems, utilizing optimal ETL patterns, frameworks, query techniques, sourcing from structured and unstructured data sources.
- Optimize pipelines, dashboards, frameworks, and systems to facilitate easier development of data artifacts.
- Influence product and cross-functional teams to identify data opportunities to drive impact.
- Apply proven expertise and build high-performance scalable data warehouses
- Design, build and launch efficient & reliable data pipelines to move and transform data (both large and small amounts)
- Securely source external data from numerous partners
- Intelligently design data models for optimal storage and retrieval
- Deploy inclusive data quality checks to ensure high quality of data
- Optimize existing pipelines and maintain of all domain-related data pipelines
- Ownership of the end-to-end data ecosystem
- Work in collaboration with infrastructure and DevOps teams to ensure the availability, security, and efficiency of data platforms.
- Drive the adoption of modern data management practices, tools, and technologies within the organization.
This position is hybrid. This means that the selected candidate will be required to perform some work onsite at one of the listed location options. This is at the hiring team’s discretion and could potentially change in the future.
The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- 5+ years of experience writing software for data services
- 5+ years of experience in fullstack software development
- 5+ years of experience developing data pipelines
- 5+ years of experience developing software products in a cloud environment
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field
- Experience in data science or analytics
- Experience in a manufacturing or aerospace environment
Typical Education & Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years’ related work experience, Master+7 years’ related work experience, 13 years’ related work experience, etc.)
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
This position may require travel up to 10% of the time.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is for 1st shift
At Boeing, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
The Boeing Company also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please note that the pay information shown below is a general guideline only. Pay is based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
Summary pay range: USD $136,850 – 185,150
Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Relocation: Relocation is available for eligible candidates, if authorized
Export Control Requirement: U.S. Government Export Control Status: This position must meet export control compliance requirements. To meet export control compliance requirements, a “U.S. Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. §120.15 is required. “U.S. Person” includes U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Safety Sensitive: This is not a safety sensitive position
Contingent Upon Award Program This position is not contingent upon program award
Experience Level: Individual Contributor – 4
Job Type: Regular
Job Code: BBAPI4 (B51)
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Stay safe from recruitment fraud! The only way to apply for a position at Boeing is via our Careers website.
Learn how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud –
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Request an Accommodation –
Applicant Privacy –
EEO is the law Poster –
Boeing Policy on EEO –
Affirmative Action and Harassment –
Boeing Participates in E – Verify
- English –
- Spanish –
Right to Work Statement
- English –
- Spanish –