The Sr. Solution Engineer, Network will be involved in cloud and infrastructure operations, resolving complex issues, logical and physical design and build innovative solutions for strategic and operational projects, mentoring and training of team members, to bring value. Responsible for the design, build, and implementation of all network solutions covering muti-region cloud, WAN, on premise, and IoT. Responsibilities include included in this work are standards, security, policies, monitoring, and planning to refresh and create a reliable, stable, and performance orientated platform for growth.
Responsible for the planning and setting the management and maintaining of company-wide deployment of the data network supporting on premise and cloud-based voice and application services for company operations. Accountability to build into the solutions will include security technology and standards, orchestration of build – management – service processes, administration, and advancement of monitoring capabilities. This position will collaborate with other IT teams, business units, and vendors to design and implement technical solutions that align to the infrastructure strategy, management and governance of business processes and operations with the implementation of infrastructure services.
Create documentation for IT teams covering solutions designed and deployed for the Smithfield enterprise covering build, standards, and operations. This role will have a cloud first design approach and have informal responsibility to mentor and train team members to bring value is a core responsibility.
- Design and buildout solutions working and collaborating with other IT teams to define the network part of the design for required reliability, stability, with focus on performance and future capacity.
- Provide technical network expertise and leadership on implementation teams deploying new systems and operational processes in accordance with strategic business initiatives and approved projects
- Provides technical expertise and advanced administration and support for daily operations for both on-premises and cloud network services
- Analyze, evaluate, and recommend options on existing or proposed network technologies and solutions to ensure compliance with security, performance, reliability, and scalability
- Leverage relationships with external service providers to achieve results driving operational excellence
- Conducts research and evaluation of new enterprise technologies, processes, upgrades to platform infrastructure solutions and enhancements to determine capabilities that meet performance and budgetary requirements
- Participate in the strategy, management and governance of IT process and operations with the implementation of infrastructure services; design solutions that meet existing and future requirements for functionality and integration with existing components
- Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, ability to see troublesome trends to solve issues before they affect business productivity
- Understand current, organic growth, and new project requirements for capacity and performance planning to forecasting system needs and communicate this information to I&O leadership for financial planning
- Provide mentorship and training for fellow team members to advance over group skills and capabilities; educate teams on the implementation of new compute services and provide associated training as required
- Drive and own the creation and maintenance of documentation of network and telecommunication services design and specifications for engineer reference and training fellow team members
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Work experience in a team environment
- Recognized and established technical knowledge through significant hands-on experience in enterprise design, build, and administration of network platforms. (Cisco a plus)
- Technical knowledge and hands on experience with routing in an enterprise environment, technologies including BGP, EIGRP, OSPF
- Technical knowledge and hands on experience with switching in an enterprise environment
- Technical knowledge and hands on experience with firewalls in an enterprise environment, including VPN administration for end user and site-to-site support (Fortinet experience a plus)
- Technical knowledge and hands on experience in an enterprise WAN environment with implementing and administration, including SD-WAN, DMVPN, QoS
- Experience working with multi cloud enterprises environments and understanding of advanced network capabilities and services, including but not limited to security groups and NSGs (AWS and Azure a preferred)
- Technical knowledge and hands on experience with wireless networks in an enterprise environment, (Cisco Plus)
- Technical knowledge or understanding of telecom voice services in an enterprise environment, provider services, and cloud VoIP
- Technical knowledge or understanding of DNS, DHCP, SMB, Subnetting, NetFlow, Cisco DNA (Cisco ISE and UCS plus)
- Technical knowledge or understanding of monitoring tools and packet level understanding
- Experience working with multi cloud enterprises environments
- Knowledge of orchestration tools or programming skill used for network automation of processes and services (Ansible a Plus)
- Knowledge of operational characteristics of infrastructure services, systems, hardware, and software
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and learn functionality of new equipment and systems
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Self-motivated, analytical, and possessing excellent problem-solving and follow-through skills
- Able to find root causes of problems, quickly determine efficient solutions, anticipate risks, and mitigate in the moment
- Informal leadership and partnering skills with key departments (Security and Enterprise Architecture)
- Ability to analyze, translate, and define business requirements into technical solutions
- Knowledge of principles, methods and techniques used in the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of network and telecom infrastructure and application impacts and dependencies
- Strong interpersonal skills – team player with service-oriented style
- Excellent organizational, technical, and business communication skills
- Up to 25% travel required
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit .
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn’t just a job – it’s the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That’s why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly®” and serve as one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan’s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit , and connect with us on , , and .
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.