Requisition Id 9778
The Web Services Group of the Information Technology Services Division in the Business Services Directorate at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks to hire an entry level Software Developer to design, develop, and maintain ORNL applications and web sites.
Typical projects to be supported range from simple to highly complex for a large (5000+ employee) enterprise environment. It is not uncommon for multiple sites and customers to be supported simultaneously by a single developer, so the ability to work independently, manage time effectively, and be goal and deadline oriented is required. Projects to be supported may include anything in ServiceNow, SharePoint, Drupal, WordPress, or other platforms. Projects span all phases of the software development lifecycle from requirements gathering through production implementation. This individual be responsible for learning ServiceNow as a software development platform and employing their existing software engineering skills to the development and deployment of solutions on that and potentially other platforms. A mentor will be provided to guide professional development and understand how to operate in a professional software engineering team.
- The position requires an Bachelor’s Degree, with no minimum requirement for professional computing experience.
- Capability in all phases of software development including requirements gathering and analysis, system design, prototype development, site design, configuration control, testing, software quality assurance, and maintenance.
- Experience in at least two programming languages.
- Ability and willingness to learn new programming languages, development platforms, applications, and frameworks.
- Additional desired qualifications include knowledge of DevOps and project management.
- Knowledge of ServiceNow applications is also preferred.
- The successful candidate must be a highly-motivated, self-starter who is comfortable working as part of a team (in any capacity) or as an independent contributor.
- The candidate must demonstrate a strong customer focus and excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- A desire to continuously improve technical skills and identify opportunities where development tools meeting ORNL Standards may be used in place of non-standard tools is expected.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory