Universal Health Services
King of Prussia, PA
One of the nation’s largest and most respected providers of hospital and healthcare services, Universal Health Services, Inc. has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Growing steadily since its inception into an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, annual revenues were $11.6 billion in 2020. In 2021, UHS was again recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; in 2020, ranked #281 on the Fortune 500; and listed #330 in Forbes ranking of U.S.’ Largest Public Companies. Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has 89,000 employees and through its subsidiaries operates 26 acute care hospitals, 334 behavioral health facilities, 39 outpatient facilities and ambulatory care access points, an insurance offering, a physician network and various related services located in 38 U.S. states, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and the United Kingdom.
The Corporate Information Services Department is seeking a dynamic and talented Software Engineer I – Business Intelligence Developer.
The Software Engineer I – Business Intelligence Developer is responsible for conducting data discovery, analysis, and profiling of data to validate business requirements and provide inputs into functional design while serving as domain expert in Clinical and/or Revenue Cycle business area. Identifies and manages data quality or integrity issues within the domain and collaborate with business units to design the structure of data solutions, as well as plan their implementation within the team. Troubleshoots and fixes data loads and other issues within a data warehouse and explore new ways to present data insights to end users within a project. Responsible for managing small scale solution commitments to business stakeholders and help develop and maintain the structure of the reporting environment.
The ideal candidate will help UHS grow intelligently by providing users with the ability to rapidly obtain the data that they need. Works on data flows from source systems to one central EDW platform and create data models using Integration Services.
Works closely with the Data Visualization team and the Clinical and/or Revenue Cycle teams throughout project life-cycles, ensuring that high-quality, timely and relevant data is available to decision makers across the organization. The ideal candidate will be a Clinical and/or Revenue Cycle focused individual.
Key Responsibilities include:
Development and Design:
- Designs, develops, implements, and maintains data models to be used by various reporting and data discovery tools. Performance and accuracy are key.
- Follows established SDLC, change control, release management and incident management processes while developing and deploying standard reports and dashboards.
- Utilizes established BI data models in order to drive reporting standards, re-use, quality and reporting simplification. Suggests improvements to the data model where applicable.
- Works collaboratively with the senior members of the team and Project Managers to perform required project tasks with minimal supervision.
- Completes change requests for new reports and enhancements in a timely manner with high quality to effectively accomplish desired objectives.
Maintenance and Support:
- Ensures that data is available to decision makers through the created reports and dashboards, as well as self-service methods.
- Provides outstanding customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Provides technical guidance to business ad-hoc report developers on appropriate usage of the data models and BI tools.
- Stays current with the needs and operations of the enterprise; provides recommendations on the availability of existing reports and suggests opportunities to improve reporting solutions.
- Remains technically fluent with new and existing BI tools, process and development techniques.
- Provides support as needed for software installations and upgrades.
- Participates in user group forums and knowledge transfer sessions.
- Monitors the resolution of maintenance or enhancement issues assigned by the UHS Customer Support Center.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field of study.
- 1+ years of day-to-day working experience using (Oracle SQL Developer, SSMS, SSIS, SAP Webi, Tableau).
- Demonstrated proficiency in general database administration concepts, and efficient query writing.
- Displays an eagerness to continually improve skills and learn new technologies.
- Comfortable with an environment where priorities change frequently.
- Ability to work and deliver strong results in a dynamic team environment.
- Ability to work in a fast moving company and industry.
- Ability to work mostly unsupervised.
- Proven communication and collaboration skills; willingness to take initiative to contribute beyond basic responsibilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Healthcare data analytics experience preferred.
- Experience with data warehousing and ETL concepts preferred.
- Experience with Business Objects preferred.
Travel Requirements: 5% US or International travel
This opportunity provides the following:
- Challenging and rewarding work environment
- Growth and development opportunities within UHS and its subsidiaries
- Competitive Compensation
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug Plan
- 401k plan with company match
- Generous Paid Time Off
*UHS is a registered trademark of UHS of Delaware, Inc., the management company for Universal Health Services, Inc. and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. Universal Health Services, Inc. is a holding company and operates through its subsidiaries including its management company, UHS of Delaware, Inc. All healthcare and management operations are conducted by subsidiaries of Universal Health Services, Inc. To the extent any reference to “UHS or UHS facilities” on this website including any statements, articles or other publications contained herein relates to our healthcare or management operations it is referring to Universal Health Services’ subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Further, the terms “we,” “us,” “our” or “the company” in such context similarly refer to the operations of Universal Health Services’ subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Any employment referenced in this website is not with Universal Health Services, Inc. but solely with one of its subsidiaries including but not limited to UHS of Delaware, Inc.
UHS is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at UHS via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of UHS. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by UHS as a result of the referral or through other means.
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at: or 1-800-852-3449.
Universal Health Services