Job Summary – Sr Data Engineer I
Responsible for the maintenance, improvement, cleaning, and manipulation of data in the business’s operational and analytics databases. Works with the applications teams, business partners, and data scientists in order to understand and aid in the implementation of database requirements, analyze performance, and troubleshoot any existing issues. Maintains the data pipeline architecture, assembles data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements and performs extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a variety of data sources using SQL and/or other data technologies. Responsible for delivering analytical tools, solutions, and reporting. Design, implement, and maintain systems used to collect and analyze BI data. Create dashboards, databases, and other platforms that allow for efficient collection and evaluation of BI data. Gain an understanding of BI goals and objectives to ensure the systems and their capabilities support competitive research efforts that achieve those goals. Train other staff members on the use of BI tools and programs.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Develop information solutions for data-related problems using a variety of technical and analytical skills.
- Provide production support responsibilities for one or more reporting and analytical solutions.
- Collaborate with team members, architects, data scientists and software developers to gather requirements and work towards delivering complete analytics/reporting solutions that help improve organizational decision making.
- Provide ad-hoc analyses with large data sets.
- Promote new initiatives, identify areas of critical need, and drive change through implementations.
- Work directly with internal customers to enact change, identify business requirements and develop the best course of actions to meet their needs.
- Serve as technical Data Engineer expert for the entire organization, assisting and guiding the activities and strategy in the Data Engineering and Data Pipelining domain.
- Partner with management to identify and research analytical solutions, and make recommendations.
- Provide impact analysis for complex changes to programs and systems.
- Provide SQL query performance tuning capability to support development and data science teams.
- Own the analytics for one or more functional areas, planning and execution to ensure timely delivery of projects.
- Create/update documentation and develop risk mitigation strategies for all responsible projects.
- Lead implementation of best practices and strategies for the team.
- Design and build technical solutions for advanced business problems based on standards and guidance from more experienced team members.
- Serve as technical subject matter expert for one or more areas.
- Partner with the architecture team to actively assist with developing and executing Data Engineering and Analytics Strategy.
- Implement P.O.C.s for new Information technologies and to vet on-boarding into the organization.
- Specify, design, build, and support data warehousing and BI solutions.
- Create dashboards and KPIs to show the business performance to management.
- Design and maintain data models used for reporting and analytics.
- Help the broader team identify new features and business opportunities through your analysis.
- Build various data visualizations to tell the story of trends, patterns, and outliers.
- Monitor and tunes BI tools to ensure optimum level of performance.
- Provide updates to customers, business and staff on a timely basis for projects and tasks
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required
- 5+ years of experience required in Data and Analytics
Equivalent Minimum Qualifications
- High School diploma/GED
- 7+ years of experience required in Data and Analytics
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Data Science, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related major field of study.
- 5+ years of related work experience with an Oracle database technology
- Hands on experience developing cloud data solutions utilizing Azure, GCP, and AWS
- Demonstrable working knowledge of database design and data movement in a cloud-based environment.
- Experience in Transportation/Intermodal Operations, Information Systems, or Logistics
- Skilled in R or similar statistical software; popular open-source data science libraries
- Hands on experience with Oracle Snowflake, ADF and Power BI strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of modern programming languages such as Python
- Experience with streaming and processing big data
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with both technical and business people.
Knowledge and Skills
- Able to unravel complex data
- Experienced building analytical tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights, operational efficiency, and other key metrics.
- A self-starter. Work independently to identify, design and implement internal process improvement, automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and re-designing for greater scalability.
- Enable data driven decisions while disrupting data silos.
- Be an advocate and set an example for CSX’s digital cultural.
- Transform the way CSX operates with a proactive, informed risk-taking, and a winning attitude.
- A strong enthusiasm to learn
- Knowledge of cloud platforms such as Azure, Snowflake, GCP, and AWS
- Experience with SAP and/or Oracle databases preferred.
- Experience using Microsoft cloud products is highly desirable
- Experience with Python
- Results-oriented with a strong sense of ownership in delivering
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data
- Hands-on experience with end-to-end analytics (i.e., data extraction to presentation); able to build processes supporting data transformation
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Experience with SQL; ability to write tune/advanced queries
- Knowledge of analytical and visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, Alteryx);
- Knowledge of reporting technologies (e.g. SAP Analytics, Power BI, SAP Business Objects)
- Experience working with data processing technologies including, Data Lakes, Data warehouse, NoSQL, SQL, PL/SQL
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
The CSX Leadership Model is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following: producing results, creating change, and inspiring excellence. #DICE
- Different shifts as assigned in a 24 hour/7 days a week operation (incl working weekends)
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (may include a non-standard work week)
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 200 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation’s economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation’s population resides. It also links more than 230 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on and follow us on .
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click to view the EEO is Law poster. Click to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information.
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.