Compass Minerals (NYSE: CMP) is a leading global provider of essential minerals focused on safely delivering where and when it matters to help solve nature’s challenges for customers and communities. The company’s salt products help keep roadways safe during winter weather and are used in numerous other consumer, industrial, chemical and agricultural applications. Its plant nutrition products help improve the quality and yield of crops, while supporting sustainable agriculture. Additionally, the company is pursuing development of a sustainable lithium brine resource to support the North American battery market and is a minority owner of Fortress North America, a next-generation fire retardant company. Compass Minerals operates 12 production and packaging facilities with nearly 2,000 employees throughout the U.S., Canada and the U.K. Visit for more information about the company and its products.
Summary: The person in this position is primarily responsible for developing and completing site equipment, system, and infrastructure projects at the Ogden Plant Site.
Essential Job Functions: Include but are not limited to the following:
(Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- Collaborate with Operations and Maintenance to develop engineering solution concepts for production equipment, utility, facility, and infrastructure improvements.
- Maintains a team approach to engineering solutions, by involving appropriate members of operations, engineering, maintenance, procurement, accounting, and ESH staff.
- Prepares preliminary design, cost estimates, and business case justification for capital expenditures.
- Prepares detailed scopes of work for equipment purchases, engineering, and construction services.
- Develops and manages capital project engineering and construction contracts, with support from procurement and legal departments, as required.
- Manages RFIs, and Submittals, and coordinates with the internal team, external engineering, and contractors.
- Implements construction/installation scheduling strategies for capital projects that coordinate with the site production and maintenance plan.
- Actively manages projects to ensure schedule and budget commitments are met and that project delivers agreed-to benefits and objectives.
- Actively manages contractors in the field reviewing safety & quality practices and work progress planning and schedule adherence.
- Manages multiple capital projects ensuring that critical path and budget goals are met.
- Investigate new technologies that might improve efficiency and cost.
- Supports proactive environmental, health, and safety processes in compliance with the law and company policy.
- Ensures compliance with all company standards, practices, and procedures.
- Preparation of purchase requisitions for approval and assist with the procurement of materials and equipment.
- Proactively resolve performance, scope, and schedule issues with engineering firms and contractors.
- Work with engineers on multiple capital projects ensuring that scope, schedule, technical correctness, and budget goals are met.
- Oversee small to medium capital projects from development to implementation.
- Continually monitor the project and develop ideas to improve profitability through cost savings and new opportunities.
- Maintain/Update Capital Expenditure tracking and monthly reporting.
- Ability to develop relationships with Maintenance and Operations employees and involves those individuals in project planning and communication.
- Ability to negotiate technically related terms and conditions with Suppliers/Contractors and maintain a positive relationship in partnership with procurement personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Civil, or other Engineering disciplines.
- Advanced Project Management skills, development/control, scope management, scheduling, and quality.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Experience in continuous improvement methods and developing risk assessments
- 5-10 years’ experience in a heavy industrial production environment.
- At least 5 years managing projects involving cross functional teams.
- Demonstrated Leadership in continuous improvement initiatives.
- Registered Professional Engineer (preferred)
- Previous experience managing capital projects.
- Complete proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Project, Word, Excel, etc.) is required.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Compass Minerals is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are firmly committed to making all employment-related decisions without regard to race, ancestry, ethnicity, color, religious creed or belief, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, and pregnancy and breastfeeding), age, military or veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by law. To request reasonable accommodations, email email@example.com or call 913-344-9200. Learn more about equal employment opportunity laws at .