For more than 80 years, Kaplan has been a trailblazer in education and professional advancement. We are a global company at the intersection of education and technology, focused on collaboration, innovation, and creativity to deliver a best-in-class educational experience and make Kaplan a great place to work.
The future of education is here and we are eager to work alongside those who want to make a positive impact and inspire change in the world around them.
The Sr Software Developer for Cloud Technologies develops and maintains cloud-based systems by studying current operations, designing, developing and installing new software solutions, supporting and developing other members of the team and leading by example in code as well as conduct.
This role requires the ability to prioritize well, communicate clearly, have a consistent track record of delivery as well as excellent software engineering skills. Creative engineering balanced with high quality and a customer focus is the basis for everyone on our team. The position also works across multiple facets of the project and juggle multiple responsibilities at a time. Strong analytic capabilities and data driven results provide us the path to create innovative solutions; sound decision making – not with myth – but with information and insights is essential.
As a member of the Innovation Engineering team, you’ll use agile software development techniques to address essential needs for our customers and internal team members. This includes but is not limited to:
- Develop software solutions by understanding the need of our business; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage and work processes; investigating problem areas; following our software development lifecycle
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, code comments, unit tests and clear code
- Improve operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures
- Execute on Innovation Vision using technological expertise
- Support and develop peer software engineers by providing advice, mentorship and code reviews
- Collaborate with team to ensure the highest possible quality of the Developer Experience
- Grow engineering teams by interviewing, recruiting and hiring
- Make informed decisions quickly and taking ownership of services and applications at scale through collective code ownership
- Work collaboratively with others or on your own to achieve goals. We pair-program but we also expect individuals to work alone on certain projects
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent experience in software development
- 5+ years of experience in application and cloud development
Proficiency and production experience on a major cloud platform (AWS preferred)
Proficiency in distributed programming and cloud computing concepts/patterns
Proficiency in Object Oriented and Functional programming patterns
Proficiency in API development and design
Proficiency in using 3rd Party APIs securely
Understands and contributes to an evolving software development life cycle
Knowledge of modern cloud native practices, patterns, libraries and frameworks
Experience with Agile and Lean development methodologies
Ability to learn quickly and work independently or as part of a team
Ability to be a persistent, creative problem solver with strong communication skills
Committed to staying on the leading edge of development practices
Passionate about great technologies, especially open source
We offer a competitive benefits package including:
Remote work providing flexible work/life balance
Comprehensive Retirement Package including 401K company match and two pension programs
Our Gift of Knowledge Program provides tuition assistance and substantial discounts for our employees and close family members
Competitive health benefits and new hire eligibility starts day-1 of employment
Generous Paid Time Off includes paid holidays, vacation, personal, sick paid time-off, plus one (1) volunteer day and one (1) diversity and inclusion day to participate and give back to our local communities
And so much more!
This position is a Salary Grade B
Location Remote/Nationwide, USA
Employee Type Employee
Job Functional Area Development
Business Unit 00072 Kaplan Test Prep
Kaplan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All positions with Kaplan are paid at least $15 per hour or$31,200 per year for full-time positions. Compensation for specific positions are based on job level, skills, years of experience, and education, among other factors. Additionally, certain positions are bonus or commission eligible. Information regarding benefits can be found .
Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
Diversity inspires innovation and growth in the Kaplan community. Kaplan strives to be a model employer for inclusiveness. Not only does Kaplan value its employees for their professionalism and skills, but also for the unique viewpoints they bring to the Organization. Kaplan’s employees bring diverse perspectives, ideas, and backgrounds that give Kaplan a competitive edge in anticipating and exceeding our students’ needs in today’s global market. Learn more about our .