Boston Globe Media
$80,000 per year
In November 2015, was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all-star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live events and virtual events, and other products. STAT is based in Boston and is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
We are looking for a full time full stack web developer with strong analytical skills and a proven ability to multitask in a fast-paced startup environment. Collaboration is key here at STAT. In this role, you’ll work closely with the STAT’s product, revenue, and editorial teams to craft new features for our website and build new products from scratch. Our team prides itself on its tight-knit group of developers with a strong work ethic.
This position reports to STAT’s Head of Engineering, working closely with five other developers on our engineering team. Although we prefer developers to work at our HQ in Boston, we are open to more flexible and remote work arrangements for exceptional candidates.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with product and design to iterate on-site features that are typically developed in two-week sprints.
- Participate in daily stand-ups, code reviews, and new production code pushes at the end of each development cycle.
- Stay current with modern web development best practices, updating our tools and workflow as needed.
- Use Linux on Vagrant and/or Docker for local WordPress development.
Who You Are:
- Advanced skills using PHP / MySQL, or full LAMP stack.
- Expertise with WordPress theme and plugin development.
- A proven knack for debugging front and back end issues using browser dev tools and PHP’s Xdebug.
- Previous experience working with at least some of the following: jQuery, Vue.js, React or other popular JS libraries and frameworks, SASS or other CSS preprocessors
- Used version control systems such as Git and Subversion.
Bonus points if you have experience working with any of the following:
- Performance optimization of high-traffic websites.
- Familiarity with the Agile methodology of software development.
- Integrating payment and subscription APIs, such as Stripe.
- Authentication frameworks, like OAuth 2.0 and OpenID Connect.
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full-time employees. Parental leave is also offered.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
How to Apply
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
STAT is committed to building a . We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalis
We require that all BGMP employees (including temporary employees, co-ops, interns, and independent contractors) be vaccinated from COVID-19, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise. All BGMP employees, regardless of vaccination status or work location, must provide proof of vaccination status as instructed by the employee’s designated Human Resources contact. Employees may request a reasonable accommodation or other exemption from this policy by contacting their designated Human Resources contact. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.
Boston Globe Media Partners is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. Boston Globe Media Partners is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
Powered by JazzHR
Boston Globe Media