Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, CERN in Europe and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab’s Office of Communication is seeking a multifaceted and strategic Web and Digital Communication Manager to assist with the creation, enhancement, and maintenance of websites within the Fermilab web presence.
The manager thrives at the intersection of technology, design and communication, having a hybrid set of skills and abilities that helps drive the development and execution of web and digital communication strategies across the lab. The ideal candidate drives and leads the continuous evolution of the lab web presence, while also individually contributing to the dynamic day-to-day management of web and digital projects and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Head of Digital Communication and others across multiple levels of the laboratory in implementing web and digital communication strategies by creating, enhancing, and maintaining engaging websites and digital collateral on scientific topics for general and science-interested audiences.
- Manage content lifecycle in accordance with Fermilab web quality, web governance and branding standards. Ensure compliance with current web policies and procedures, including IT and cybersecurity.
- Coordinate the work of writers, stakeholders and subject matter experts to analyze requirements, curate, edit, proofread and package website content consistent with Fermilab’s messaging and strategy.
- Using workflow systems, assist and exercise discretion and independent judgement in web governance duties, such as approving website creation, publishing and refresh. You will perform periodic audits of Fermilab websites for performance, content and accessibility.
- Optimize webpages for compliance with lab’s web governance policy and guidelines, accessibility, search engine optimization (SEO) and top placement on search engine results (SERP).
- Review user interfaces for websites with a focus on improving the end user experience.
- Liaise and coordinate directly with external vendors, web developers and IT department to ensure accurate translation into the code. Provide user training on Fermilab’s content management systems, web guidelines and policies, and evolving training plans and methodologies.
- Analyze key metrics, identify issues and trends, and make recommendations for changes and improvements to keep web goals aligned with the mission of the laboratory.
We Are Looking For
An individual with proven experience creating and maintaining state-of-the-art websites for diverse audiences that are well received by site stakeholders and audiences. An all-round and versatile web and digital leader who thrives in dynamic and fast-paced environments, with the ability to independently take on complex projects and achieve goals that raise the bar.
- Knowledge and command of current web management systems, web development, design and content strategies, tools and trends.
- Strong project management skills including the ability to manage projects and timelines independently, from start to finish.
- Great people skills. Ability to build positive relationships and work impactfully as part of a diverse team of talented communication and creative services professionals.
- Strong communication skills and ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders to understand requirements and pitch ideas for solutions that elevate the user web experience and strengthen understanding and impact. Strong ability to manage relationships and drive teams to a decision using a positive and productive approach.
- Capacity to make decisions using expertise and expert judgement.
- Expertise in web accessibility and related current guidelines and standards.
- Experience with email newsletters and campaigns, and related technologies.
- Strong attention to detail and quality. Proven ability to stay well organized, be accurate, independently work on multiple projects, prioritize tasks and successfully meet milestones and deadlines.
- Comfortable both leading web initiatives as well as diving into the tactical implementation where appropriate to bring the lab’s web vision and experience to life.
- Passion for the mission of Fermilab.
Education and Technology Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in Information Technology, Web Design and Development, Computer Science or other web-related discipline along with 5+ years of experience in increasingly advanced responsibilities in the field or equivalent certification, education and/or experience.
- Analytics Tools: Google Analytics, GA4, Looker Studio, Google Tag Manager.
- Preferred Additional Technical Qualifications: Browser developer tools. Siteimprove. Interface design and prototyping tools such as Figma or Adobe XD. Experience with scripting languages such as Python or Perl.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.
REAL-ID Requirement for access to Fermilab Campus
Fermilab and FRA requires all members of the public to produce a REAL-ID, or equivalent, to access the Fermilab Campus for interviews or career events. A list of acceptable forms of ID can be found here: If a candidate is selected for an interview but does not possess any of the equivalent documents, we may schedule a virtual interview.
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory