Senior Battery Management System (BMS) Systems Engineer
At John Deere, we run so life can leap forward. This powerful purpose is our promise to humankind that we will dream, design, and deliver breakthrough products that sustain our world for generations to come. The world is counting on us to feed billions of people and build vital infrastructures in villages, towns and megacities. And we live up to the legacy our founder forged in a one-room blacksmith’s shop nearly two centuries ago by creating a culture that brings out the best in all of us. A culture where great ideas thrive because every voice is heard.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Primary Location: Vereinigte Staaten (US) – North Carolina – Cary
Function: Engineering (CA)
Title: Senior Battery Management System (BMS) Systems Engineer – 96335
This position is eligible for remote work at the present time. The arrangement may be delayed for training or other job acclimation purposes and remains subject to change. Ideally, the chosen candidate will live near or be willing to relocate to Cary, NC.
John Deere is seeking engineers to help develop lithium-ion battery solutions. John Deere sees demand growing for batteries as a sole- or hybrid-propulsion system for vehicles. Some products in Deere’s portfolio such as turf equipment, compact utility tractors, small tractors, compact construction, and road building equipment could rely solely on batteries as a primary power source in the future. Deere intends to continue to invest in and develop technologies to innovate, deliver value to customers, and work towards an electrified future. This is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative leader in precision agriculture and construction equipment and technology solutions as we continue our electrification journey towards a more sustainable future.
As a Senior BMS Systems Engineer for JD Power Systems located in Cary, North Carolina you will:
- Drive the design and development of lithium-ion battery management systems following the Product Delivery Process (PDP), ensuring all activities and plans are formulated, documented, and followed to launch the product into production.
- Lead the development of system, component, and sub-component requirements & specifications for the various elements of lithium-ion battery management systems while considering functional, performance, integration, safety, and compliance requirements.
- Lead data analysis activities and interpretation related to battery field performance to guide requirements development and product improvements.
- Execute trade off analyses of potential battery management system designs considering cost, schedule, manufacturability, functionality, performance, reliability, safety, etc.
- Support the development of an efficient battery management system solution strategy – including architecture, functional safety, hardware, software, and controls.
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with the appropriate functional team members from quality, manufacturing, supply management and product support, marketing, suppliers, customers, leadership, as well as hardware engineers, software. engineers, controls engineers, systems & applications engineers, cell engineers, product verification & validation (PV&V) engineers, and vehicle electrification engineers.
- Support battery system, applications, and vehicle electrification teams with the integration of battery systems into electrified vehicles.
VISA Sponsorship is available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- 5 or more years of experience in product development
- 3 or more years of experience in the design, development, testing, and integration of battery management systems in lithium-ion batteries
- 3 or more years of experience in battery management system integration into electric vehicle applications
- 3 or more years of experience developing product requirements and specifications
- 1 or more years of experience supporting functional safety development
- 5 or more years of experience contributing as a core team member on a cross-functional product development team
- Experience with requirements management tools
- Experience with data analysis tools
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 15%
What Makes You Stand Out
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams meeting project performance, schedule, and budget goals
- Understanding of lithium-ion battery technology trends, vehicle industry application trends, battery management system technology trends, and lithium-ion battery test approaches
- Deep understanding of battery management system architecture, hardware, software, controls, interface, sensing, safety, communication, integration, and testing
- Experience with installation, commissioning, and field support of lithium-ion batteries including diagnosing and troubleshooting battery system failures
- Experience with functional safety and cyber security standards
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross functional battery management system hardware, battery management software, battery management system controls, battery systems & applications, battery test, and vehicle electrification teams
- Experience with rectifiers, inverters, power control systems, chargers, and thermal management systems
- Self-starter and passionate about vehicle electrification & battery technology
- Advanced technical degree in engineering, Master’s level or greater with emphasis on battery management systems and/or systems engineering
- Experience with construction, agricultural, and turf vehicle engineering
Ideally you will have a degree or equivalent related work experience in the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with relevant battery management systems experience
What You’ll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go while working in an inclusive team environment. Here, you’ll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive reward package to help you get started on your new career path, including:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Highly competitive base pay and performance bonuses
- Savings & Retirement benefits (401K and Grow Together Contribution)
- Healthcare benefits with a generous company contribution in the Health Savings Account
- Adoption assistance
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness subsidies and on-site gyms at specific Deere locations
- Charitable contribution match
- Employee Purchase Plan & numerous discount programs for personal use
Follow this link to learn more about our Total Rewards Package
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
The terms of the applicable benefit plans, and all company actions administering or interpreting these plans, continue to control. Deere & Company reserves the right to suspend, amend, modify, or terminate the Plan(s) in any manner at any time, including the right to modify or eliminate any cost-sharing between the company and participants. Changes, which can be made at any time, are made by action of the company’s board of directors, or to the extent authorized by resolution of its board of directors, or by the Deere & Company Compensation Committee. In the event of a conflict between the language of the official Plan Documents and this document, the language of the official Plan Documents will control.
ACA Section 1557 Nondiscrimination Notice
The John Deere Health Benefit Plans for Salaried Employees and The John Deere Benefit Plan for Wage Employees comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.